Sunday, September 11, 2011

Four Months

Seriously, four months old? I say this every month, but I honestly can't believe it! 

Gretchen  has grown so much in the past month. It's hard to keep track of all of her milestones, but I try my best and jot them down from time to time. I'm doing better than I thought, but hope to do even better throughout the months to come, because I know a lot of exciting things are just around the corner.

One major milestone that Gretchen accomplished was caught on video in a previous post. She learned to roll over! First, from belly to back, and then from back to belly. It is said that rolling over from back to belly is a harder task, because it requires more muscle and strength. Needless to say, we were both quite proud of our little girl! Now, she's a rolling machine. She rolls from back to belly most of the time, but just today I saw her spicing it up by rolling from belly to back a few times while playing on her blanket with toys surrounding her. 

She is able to be left alone to play independently now, which is nice, because it allows me to clean up around the house or take a few minutes for myself. Although I am at home, it is still tiring! I'm more tired at the end of the day taking care of our child than I ever was working in an office setting every day (even while pregnant and working). 

Her newest toys include a Baby Einstein Jumperoo (a large, colorful, musical entertainment station that keeps her busy for at least 15 - 20 minutes), her Little Tikes 4-key "piano" (I scored this for $1.00 at a yard sale and it retails for $15-20 at the store), four cloth blocks (two are crinkly and two have tiny bells in them), a Chicco brand rolling toy that plays music and makes sounds while she tries to "crawl" after it, and this stuffed giraffe. She used to love this plastic bees toy that we have, and she still does enjoy it, but not as much as her new giraffe, "Jerry." 

She is currently wearing anywhere from size 3 - 9 in clothes depending on the brand. I've noticed that her pants sizes are always smaller than her tops/onesies/pajamas. Right now she's in mostly 0-3 pants, but depending on the size, she does range from 3-9 in pants, as well. We typically have her in the Carter's brand, because that is a brand most stores sell for children and I really like the quality that they offer. 

Gretchen has stayed overnight at my mom's house three times in the past month, and has done really well away from home, and so have we! We miss her, of course, but are able to have some time apart and I think it's overall healthy for everyone. She's adjusted to sleeping in her own room in her crib quite nicely and we have a nice morning and night routine down that is structured and easy for everyone in the family.

Playgroup has slowed down a bit, but we still interact with other children once or twice a month. She's great with other children and able to do a lot more now, especially on the floor. She isn't crawling, but she is definitely wiggling her way around. She likes to wiggle in a circle and also can sit up for a few minutes at a time. She is developing fast and is really strong for her age.

Her four month appointment is on the 13th, so I will take the time to edit her stats at that point. I do know that she has doubled her birth weight and grown quite a few inches since birth. I can't wait to share all of her stats! I also know that she is teething, which we're currently experiencing. It's quite miserable at times, and has taken our "perfect" girl away and left with us a moaning and groaning child that is quite fussy, BUT I'd be fussy, too, if my teeth were coming in. We often joke and say that we'd rather her have no teeth at all and just buy her baby dentures instead of experience this! Some day it'll be over, though, and we'll be onto something else. 

Gretchen is still laughing and smiling up a storm. She has quite the sense of humor. We think she's going to be a very funny girl growing up, and we're excited to watch her throughout the years. 

This week Gretchen started showing more interest in our dog, Jack (a small pug). She gets a huge grin on her face when Jack appears and reaches out to pet him. She grabs large amounts of fur and pulls at his skin. We keep close watch on her around the dog, of course, because you can never be too safe.

For now, I'll leave you with some photographs from the month. Enjoy and stay tuned for her updated doctor's appointment information! 

 Gretchen playing in her Bumbo chair with her new block.

"Uncle Shane" playing with Gretchen in her jumperoo.

Gretchen showing off her new cardigan and stripped leggings. 

Gretchen and her pal, the Grinch.

Gretchen and her Daddy reading "Hop On Pop." 

Gretchen wearing Daddy's hat.

Gretchen fell asleep on Dad's lap.

Gretchen is sitting up more often and prefers to sit or stand rather than lay down.


**Update: Gretchen just got back from her 4 month wellness checkup and she passed with flying colors. Here are her starting stats and 4 month stats:

Birth - May 11, 2011 
Weight: 9 lbs, 4 oz.
Height: 21 1/2 in.
Head Circumference: 14.02 in.

2 months - July 13, 2011 
Weight: 14 lbs, 4 oz.
Height: 23 in.
Head Circumference: 15.51 in.

4 months - September 14, 2011
Weight: 17 lbs, 15 oz.
Height: 25 1/4 in.
Head Circumference: 16.26 in.

Currently Gretchen is in the 99.27 percentile for weight, 83.20 percentile for height and 59 percentile for head circumference.

She had the DTAP HIB IPV vaccine, Pneumococcal vaccine and Rotavirus virus vaccine.

Next appointment is her 6 month appointment on 11/14 at 9:00 AM and at that appointment we should get the go ahead to start solids (with a mix of formula). Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment